About Mara Bernstein
FAMILY AND MARITAL ATTORNEY
COLLABORATIVE DIVORCE ATTORNEY
GUARDIAN AD LITEM
After attaining a baccalaureate degree in social work from Cornell University and a law degree from Brooklyn Law School, Mara began her career in 1988 as a divorce litigation attorney with a preeminent New York City divorce law firm, representing celebrities and public figures in high-asset divorce and child custody matters.
Presently, Mara is the managing partner of the Boca Raton office of the Law Offices of Barry I. Finkel, PA, a marital and family law firm with offices in Ft. Lauderdale and Boca Raton. Mara’s practice focuses exclusively on divorce; child custody and relocation; equitable distribution; alimony; child support; and prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.
Mara understands that divorce and family law matters are not “one size fits all.” For this reason, Mara assesses her clients’ needs, objectives, and goals and clearly lays out a strategy and legal approach designed to create the best results possible while minimizing the negative impacts of divorce. In addition to her years as a seasoned divorce litigator, Mara is a well-regarded and experienced Collaborative Divorce attorney and trained divorce mediator. She is also a guardian ad litem representing the rights of children in high-conflict divorce cases.
Her clients describe her as “very accessible,” and an “advocate who gets results without unnecessary fees and drama.” Opposing counsel describe Mara as “unwavering and relentless in pursuit of her clients’ interests.”
Mara is on the membership board of the South Palm Beach County Collaborative Law Group, a member of the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals, the Florida Association of Collaborative Professionals, a former board of trustee of the Faulk Center for Counseling, and a member of the Faulk Center for Counseling Professional Advisory Council. She is a founding member of the Sophia Grace Fund and Free Arts of NYC.
No caveats, no loopholes, just direct and to the point. One of the absolute best I have ever had the pleasure - yes pleasure! - to work with."
- Dr. G.R.
She was very well prepared for the courtroom and provided superior legal counsel. I strongly endorse her work.”
During the toughest time of my life, she made the process so much easier, negotiating what I believe to be the best possible outcome for me. I couldn't have been happier with her as my attorney. Highly recommended...in fact, she's the only divorce attorney I refer to!”
- Brooklyn Law School, J.D.
- Cornell University, B.S.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Florida Bar, Family Law Section; Mediation and Collaborative Law Committee, Member
- The New York State Bar
- South Palm Beach County Bar Association
- Florida Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- My Collaborative Team Member
- South County Bar Association: Family Law Section
- Broward County Bar Association, Alternative Dispute Resolution section, Family Law Section
Award and Presentations
- Community Impact Advocacy Award
- Faulk Center for Counseling: Collaborative Law Seminar
- Florida Psychological Association: Continuing Education, Options in Divorce: Collaborative Divorce
- Florida Paralegals Association: Continuing Education, Collaborative Divorce Law
- South Palm Beach County Collaborative Law Professionals: “Collaborative Practice and the Law”
Areas of Practice
COMPLEX DIVORCE LITIGATION
PRENUPTIAL & POSTNUPTIAL AGREEMENTS
ASSET DIVISION & EQUITABLE DISTRIBUTION
PARENTING, CHILD CUSTODY & CHILD SUPPORT
HIGH NET WORTH DIVORCE